From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 01:05:17 -0400
Paul,

The Sony Mavica camera line is the =only= one that uses PC compatible
floppy disks to store the images. I'm not sure what you consider to be a
high resolution picture.  My FD-81 takes pictures at 1024x768, as well as
at 640x480, or 320x240 resolution and it can save in both JPG or BMP
format.  With the right printer and glossy paper, 1024x768 prints can only
be (visually) distinguished from a real photograph with a magnifying
glass.

At first, I too thought the bundled software, iPhotoPlus, was mediocre,
but it didn't have a manual to explain how to use it.  After fumbling and
stumbling around with the software for a while, I found that it is just as
good a PhotoShop for picture tweaking.  But of course, does not have as
many advanced features since it is an SE version (Special Edition usually
means stripped down <grin>)

My suggestions for Joan are to look for a camera with removable storage
media.  I can't think of anything more frustrating than missing that one
last perfect shot because the camera is full.

Another (major?)  consideration should be how long it takes to transfer
the pictures from the camera to the PC.  With a "cabled" camera, you are
limited to "downloading" the pictures to one PC only -- and with some that
time can be quite long.  With the Mavica, you can pop the disk out and
stick it into any PC (or MAC) and have instant access to all the photos.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====