From:
Chuck Hassenplug <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2012 02:18:53 -0700
Dear Mark, John, David, and other List Members,
    First let me clarify myself and try to understand what all of you are
talking about. Right now I have a Maxtor HDD on the primary IDE channel
working perfectly, with the unpartitioned Fujitsu on the scondary. When I
start my computer, the Bios (PA-2013 FIC motherboard) recongonizes them
both, but the computer cannot see the Fijitsu in dos or windows 98. I do
have a Win98 startup disk, with format.com and fdisk.exe on it. I copied the
installation files for Windows 98 onto the Maxtor, and plan to copy those to
the Fujitsu and install Windows 98 from the hard drive, instead of the
CD-Rom, so the cd rom drivers should be unessesay. The plan will be for the
Fujitsu to be the only hard drive in the computer on the primary channel.
Now for my questions:

1)  Before I boot with the Win 98 floppy, should I dissconnect the maxtor
and put the Fujitsu on the primary channel, then partition and format from
there, then reconnect the the maxtor and copy over windows 98 to the
Fujitsu?

2)  Some one merntioned using format c: /s and format d:/. Should I still do
this, to make the drive bootable, or can I boot from the floppy, install
windows, and windows will make it bottable?

3)  There has been much discussion about swap disk in Windows 98 and I am
very confused. I was under the impression that there is a performance
increase if the swap file is on its own partition, which I was going to make
100mb on the 4.3GB Fujitsu. Now I hear there is not benefit of this under
Win98 if the ram is at least 64mb, which it is. Also the chipset must cache
this amount of ram, right? I have a MVP3 chipset, and I don't know if it can
do this. Please, tell me what I should do, one parttition of 4.3 GB for a
c:\ drive, or one 4.2 GB c:\ drive and a d:\ drive of 100mb for the swapfile
in Win98.
    Thank you to everyone who responded, I am using all of your suggestions
as a collective genius, but still am a little confused.

Chuck Hassenplug

>Are you planning on installing this into your PC on the primary channel
with no
>other hard drives on either the primary or secondary channel. Is your
Fujitsu

                                  -----