From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:53:03 -0600
At 10:50 PM 08/24/2000 , Ahror Rahmedov wrote:
>I think I shoud have asked it this way:
>My friend is having problems with his Win98 system: many error messages,
>freezing often, etc. What is the best way to fix it: FDISK, and then Format
>and then Install Win98, or Format and then install Win98, or just reinstall
>Win98, or somehow extract missing files, or is there any other better ways
>to fix it?

I have seen this issue quite often.   The most likely cause is a  hardware
conflict or a corrupted hardware driver.   The first thing I would check is
that Windows has not shared IRQs between two devices by looking
in your Windows Device Manager.

You may need to manually assign IRQs to dominant hardware devices
such as a modem, network card, sound card in the PCI bus...  this is
done in the CMOS settings of the BIOS.   Installing the latest drivers
for the hardware is also another issue to consider.  Old or corrupted
drivers will cause this issue also.

Reinstalling Windows will not change the drivers...  or the current configuration.
Formatting and reinstalling will remove the current configuration and possibly
solve the issue, but do not count on it, (this is a bit like killing ants with a hammer).

If you are unfamiliar with doing this, then post a complete list of the components
in the PC and we will attempt to help.  Include the Manufacturer and model
number of each component, and the IRQ assigned to each one.  Include
the motherboard, (Bios manufacturer), video card, modem, sound card,
network card, SCSI card and/or other devices on the system, including scanners
or printers installed.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: