From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:19:25 -0600
From: "rizal" :Subject: [PCBUILD] System Properties Conflict

Hi..

My issue is, there is a conflict with my Hard Disk Controller (I can used my
PC as usual), There are 3 items under System Properties for Hard Disk
Controller. 1) Primary IDE Controller (single Fifo) - conflict 2) Secondary
IDE controller (single fifo) - conflict, and 3) Standard dual PCI IDE
controller -  no conflict. When I look into Properties for the 2 items,
there is error code which is CODE 10.

Another one is under performance bar.

Files System : Some drivers using MS-DOS compatibility
Virtual Memory    : MS-DOS Compatibility mode.

and there is a message:

" Compatibilty mode paging values overall system performance
Drive C: using MS -DOS compatibility mode files system
Drive D: using MS -DOS compatibility mode files system
Drive E :using MS -DOS compatibility mode files system" .

When I check on another PC, the massage is " Your system is configured for
optimal performance" not like what I had on my PC.

How can I solve the error. Do I need to download any driver? My PC is Compaq
Deskpro with Celeron 300A and
run under Win 95.

Thank you for any help.

Rizal Sharif

Rizal,

This is a common problem with the Standard Dual PCI-IDE controller.  You
will have to search your registry for a NOIDE entry and  remove it.  The
entry can be found at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\VXD\IOS

After you update the registry, restart Windows.  Windows will then attempt
to initialize the protected mode driver for your controller.  Check in
Device Manager to verify that the protected mode drivers were initialized
properly, no drives should be running in MS-DOS compatibility mode.  If this
does not work, you may have to reinstall the protected mode drivers.  You
should be able to find them on the Compaq site for your computer or on the
disks that came with your computer.  You will be looking for the Bus Master
drivers for your motherboard.  You will need to remove the NOIDE entry from
the registry again for the protected mode drivers to initialize properly,
and reboot Windows.

If this does not initialize the drivers you will have to enter safe mode,
remove all hard disk controller from Device Manager, remove the NOIDE
reference in the registry and reboot the computer.  It may take a couple of
times repeating this procedure for the Bus Master drivers to initialize
properly.

Hope this helps,

Mary Wolden

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,