From:
Wayne Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 09:22:00 -0500
    Hello and nice to find you. I need help loading an operating systems, or
rather operating systems on my hard drive. I have been unsuccessful for the
most part. This is my "play" computer, the one I learn all about computers
on, and the one I am allowed to screw up and nothing will get excited. It is
an old AT &T Globalyst 360 TPC,  66MHZ made about 1994. It has 16 Megs of
RAM. What happened is the new hard drive I bought 2 years ago went bad in
the area that had the operating system on it and Windows 95 wouldn't come up
anymore. So Seagate sent me an exchange for free.
    I have had problems putting an operating system on the new hard drive. I
have used FDISK to partition the disk. This of course doesn't recognize the
2.5Gig hard drive I now have in there, it recognizes 504Meg. I figure that's
fine, I can fix that later. Well it doesn't work. I have tried countless
variations of FDISK, EZ-Drive software from Western Digital, several ways to
format i.e., FORMAT c:/s/u. Disk would format, disk would be recognized as
2.5 Gig and programs would to load. None have been successful.
    I have tried the following programs. I was able to load the original
computer software into the computer, Windows 3.1 and all the A T & T
software provided. I was also able to recognize three partitions on the File
Manager. Fine so far, but I tried to upgrade to Windows 95. It goes through
the entire upgrade and when it is time to restart the computer, and it does
so, the message about nonsytem disk appears, and there are no floppies in
the drive.  I also was able to load Windows NT 4 onto the drive.
    What I have available for systems is Windows 3.1 and 3.11, Windows 95
upgrade version, Windows NT 4 full version and Windows 98 OEM version. I
would like to eventually have Windows NT, either Windows 95 or 98, and a
Linux version on the computer with a menu for a choice of system to boot up.
    I apologize for the wordiness and yet  I know I left a lot of info out.
I have been trying to do this for at least 2 months off and on and have had
friends with a little more knowledge than me attempt to fix it. I don't want
to call in a professional, I want to LEARN how to do these things myself.
Then I can help my friends. Thanks for any help provided.

Wayne Harris

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]