From:
Tony Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:04:07 -0700
Dear All,

I am experiencing a weird problem with a few of the
laptops at work.

We have HP Omnibook laptops running NT4 (and Win2K)
with Xircom Realport 10/100 Ethernet Modems. The
problem is whenever we try to dial out over a PABX
system, we can only make a connection once, any time
we try after that we get a hardware error, and the
only way to get use out of the modem is to reboot the
laptop (logging off and back on makes no difference).

It seems like once you dial up the first time the
modem does not release the line, so the OS probably
can't make the connection, initially we thought it was
down to our phone system (its pretty old) but we have
tested it on a few of our clients sites and we get the
same thing there as well. If we use a standard phone
line we can get a connection each and every time.

I have had a word with Xircom Tech Support, but they
don't appear to know why either.

Has anyone come across this before.

Thanks

Tony