From:
John Dinges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:06:17 -0700
For Dean and anyone else's info-
Yes, I have cleaned lots of computers by taking them out side and blowing
them out with an air hose. The important point is to make sure you have a
good water seperator on the air line an not get the nozzle of the air gun
any closer than is necessary to dislodge the debris. I usually use around
80+ psi and keep the nozzle about a foot from the chassis components. It is
almost impossible to really clean the heat sinks w/o a good shot of air.
Also, a clean soft clean paint brush will help dislodge dirt stuck to
components. As the layer of dirt builds up it acts like an insulator and
holds the heat in. Have never had a problem. Does great on power supplies
too.
While servicing tv's in west texas a few years ago, sets would come in from
the ranches with 3 inches or more dirt covering the chassis. Took them
outside and dumped them, then took next door to svc stn and blew them out.
Never hurt a one. Hate to think what computers with fans forcing air into
the chassis would be like coming in from those ranches.

HTH
John Dinges