From:
Javier Vizcaino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:29:52 +0100
Hi.
The dimm's EEPROM is a serial memory (SPD) with the dimm
parameters (memory type, width, parity, etc). Fundamentally
it has a clock input (SCL), a write protect input (WP) and a
serial input/output (SDA), and these three signals go to the
168 pins connector.
So it is up to the mobo/bios/chipset to handle the signals.
If your mobo says nothing about SPD use, possibly you can
mix. If you tell the mobo to use SPD (bios) and you mix, no
idea: the mobo/bios/chipset would read different SDA data or
no data (occupied DIMM's); if the manufacturer were
intelligent, not always the case, he should consider worst
case, but you should also consider as worst case that the
manufacturer may be an stupid, the bios buggy, nothing has
been tested, etc.
Different voltages DIMM's are mechanically different
(notches positions), so as long as you don't use hammer and
dremel to place them, no confusion can arise.
Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]
http://www.automodelismo.com http://ability53.hypermart.net
  Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
  Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
  Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1     (ln(-1) is
complex, but exists)