From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 07:40:46 -0600
Hello everyone...

I thought about the SETI project and decided this was a very worthwhile
project, so I setup a team for our group:   Team NOSPIN.
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=Team+NOSPIN

I have added SETI to my personal computer and my server.   So, for now we have
two members to the team.  I hope a few more of you will join me in this project
and join the team.   We have enough computing power in this group to really make
a difference in this competition, if I can motivate you to join me.  This would be
a wonderful time for everyone to contribute the free time their computer has
each day, (it will run as a screen saver), and give The NOSPIN Group some
visibility on the Internet.

What is SETI?
Seti is the "Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence."   By 1992, this project was funded
by the US government with a mere $10 million and the funding was withdrawn in
1993.   Since then SETI became a private, non-profit foundation and needs the
support of everyone who wants an answer to the question, "Does intelligent life
exist in the Universe?"   Today, SETI has this program to have the data they
receive processed by individuals like you and me.  You download the small
client software package they offer, it downloads a package of data, processes
it on your system and then it uploads it back to SETI.   If you find that signal
from outer-space, that voice sending a signal to earth, SETI will give you credit
for the find.

SETI's Mission
Seti has stated they will take every effort to verify an incoming signal is real,
then they will release the information to the world, as the information belongs
to everyone.

I believe the group has a noble mission with good intent.  That is why I got
involved and I hope you will join me.   Besides, we can all gather together
in a team for the fun of it.  Our thousands of readers could really make a
difference in SETI's quest, while placing us as a group at the top of the
Team rankings.   This is rather fun after all.

How do you get involved?
Go to Seti's web site, download the proper client for your system.  Set it up
with their easy instructions.   Once you have downloaded your first packet,
you can then go to our Team page at SETI, (the URL is listed above), and
join our team.   I hope to see all the great members of PCBUILD in our ranks
at SETI.      http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Thanks

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group