From:
"Lindstrom, Rick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:05:25 -0500
Hello All-

I heard an interesting rumor from my ISP that I thought I'd pass along to
the list-

It seems that Intel is losing so much business to the Super Socket 7 market
(read that probably as "AMD"), that it made deals with Aopen (Acer) and
Epox to buy the rights to their mobos that use the Socket 7 format. I doubt
that this means that they will be producing the boards, but rather keeping
them off the market. My source intimated that Aopen and Epox were willing
to do this because they are about to release new boards soon anyway and
won't be losing much.

Sad, *if* true, that it's better business to sell out to a competitor than
to keep a good product on the market for the consumer.

Evidently, the availability of Super Socket 7 boards may dry up for awhile
until the new models arrive (3-4 months, according to my rumor-monger).

I'm passing this gossip along merely as an example of the marketplace
realities that we are forced to deal with as computer hobbiests, and on a
larger scale, as consumers in general. Things are not always what they
appear.

Anybody know anything relating to this?

Regards-