From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 22:16:29 -0600
 I had a client bring a packard bell to me three times for repair.
She said it rebooted spontaneously.
First time I found nothing wrong ran perfectly stable.
 I had it here the second time for a week, still nothing.
She still insisted it was rebooting a couple of times a day.
. Third time I had it for almost two weeks.
Like you I about pulled my limited hair supply out on this one.

 In this case it turned out to be a  $2 bad power switch, if you
pulled the switch plunger (just right) slightly side-ways.
the computer would reboot. On this model of Pack-Bell the switch is
actuated by a long
curved plastic plunger running from the front panel back to the power
supply housing where the switch is
 Turns out she had it on a wobbley table and the vibrations of walking
by or the spin cycle on the washer
made the connection in the power switch fail once in a while.
 I had it on a solid work bench and didn't have that problem.
you don't mention swapping power supply/case. Also check to make sure
the plug that plugs into
the power supply isn't burned or loose where it plugs into the
p-supply.
 Just something to think about.

  --|---------------------------
     | ><>  Larry  Fisk   <><
     |      Fisk Computers
     |      Fruitvale, Idaho

> I am really at my wits end. I have a PC that kepts on rebooting all
by
> itself. weather in standby or working on it surfing the web. There
is no
> warning, it just reboots.   Any ideas?

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>