From:
Sue Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:51:25 -0400
Just to add a caveat to this, on purchasing an OEM.
One thing to remember with an OEM is that the license does not transfer. If
you install it on a PC, it must stay on that PC, and revalidation if you
upgrade any hardware is not guaranteed. Also, the only support you get is
paid at a cost of $35 per issue.
The other thing is, if you buy an OEM version, make sure it's from a
reputable source. New Egg and Tiger Direct are okay. Everywhere else is
suspect, IMO. You do not need to purchase hardware, it will be sent along
with your copy of XP. It'll be something like a USB cable, or a cable power
splitter.
Problem with buying almost anywhere else, is that you might end up with a
VLK (Volume License Key) version, as I did, which I wasn't aware of until MS
added their new validation process. Since this had previously validated, I
had to pay for the support to find out it was a reverse engineered VLK. And
thus was a pirated copy. And yes, it came sealed in the OEM box, with a COA
and the CD was identical to the new holographic one I purchased from New Egg
to replace the bad version.
I've seen it mentioned that MS will replace the pirated version with a
genuine, but that only applies if the OS was installed or purchased before
May 2005.
As for purchasing, get the upgrade, rather than the full version. And I
would strongly recommend that to a general user, rather than getting an OEM.
The cost is comparable, and the Upgrade has benefits. And remember, if the
price is too good to be true, it probably is. And to answer your questions,
you will get a full, clean install, as long as you have a prior version of
Windows something on CD. You will be asked to insert the CD at one point in
the installation process, and everything will continue normally after it's
checked. It's the only way I would install an OS, as installing over a
previous version introduces problems.
You do not need a boot disk, all you have to do is set your BIOS to boot
from CD first, insert the CD, and let the installation begin. All the
appropriate files will be copied (installed) to your new, pristine hard
drive.
Good luck.

Sue Clark
Bristol, ME