From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:52:49 -0500
> >         I just went in a similar direction with my broadband connection.
> > I went
> >from my main computer set up as a proxy to a router. I must say I am very
> >happy with the decision. With the router I don't have to worry about
> >knocking my brother offline when I decide to reboot.
>
> That's another consideration as well.  The Celeron needs to be powered up
> in order for the Internet to run on the other machine.  I figured the
> router would also eliminate that need.  With respect to the
> speed, have you
> noticed a significant difference?

        Not really, I had already optimized my system for speed (with the RWIN -
necessary for older windows 95 configs, MaxMTU - necessary for PPPoE
connections) and aside from more free memory on my computer I haven't
noticed a speed difference on my internet link.

> I'm not running yet but I do have my sneakers close at hand <grin>.  I'll
> have a peek at this idea as my curiosity has been itching to play with
> Linux on the old 486 just for the fun of it.  There are *TONS* of 486's on
> the local buy & sell NG and at $25.00 it sure is cheaper than the
> router at
> $240.00 (Canadian).  I'll do some surfing about that tomorrow.  Mind if I
> e-mail you privately if I need a hand?  I'm at [log in to unmask]

        No prob, you can reach me at [log in to unmask]

PS. If you are in the Toronto area Raven International has 486s for sale for
$25
https://secure2.hispeed.net/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/ravenintl/category.cgi?category=
30010
TTYL