From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:47:16 -0500
There is a simple explanation for this, seems everyone sees this from time
to time.  Himem.sys needs to be on the diskette and it needs to be loaded
from the config.sys file on the diskette you boot from, otherwise this error
occurs.  If you are using a diskette made by the windows boot disk wizard,
then the problem is not the config.sys file, but that himem.sys is missing
from the diskette.

Check the contents of config.sys.  It should have this line,
device=a:\himem.sys

Check the contents of the diskette.  Himem.sys must be on it.

Format will work then.
Tom Turak