From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:53:17 -0800
Hi William,

As was already mentioned, some DV camcorders (Canon for example), support
pass through digitization of an analog input. Some don't. I bought a Canon
(ZR60) over a couple other brands specifically because of this feature.

If you don't have a such a camcorder, and are not inclined to purchase one,
the other solution is to purchase an analog video capture device. There are
a number of them. Some are plug-in PC cards (ATI makes a couple), there are
USB based modules (you probably want one that is USB 2.0, and requires a USB
2.0 port on your computer to be able to get the full stream without loss)
and firewire (IEEE 1394). ATI also makes a well known line of video cards
with built-in TV tuner and capture, called the All In Wonder series. I
personally have an ATI Radeon All In Wondoer 9600XT, and it works very well
for me. It supports capturing from cable TV, composite, and S-Video.

Just make sure that what you get will do what you want, some of the really
cheap capture solutions (particularly USB 1.x based) won't capture in a
format compatible for making a DVD. The makers of Pinnacle Studio make a
package with the SW and a capture card for about $100 (retail), that might
be an option for you.

Russ Poffenberger