From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 07:16:05 -0500
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, and it's what I'll probably
do.

I'm still curious though --- how does the mobo tell the power supply
to turn itself on?

There are a whole slew of wires coming from the power supply
that plug into the main power connector on the mobo.

I'm guessing that the power supply supplies a small amount
of power to the 'sftpwr' circuitry of the mobo, even when it's
'off' (and its fan is off), and that the sftpwr circuitry signals
back to the power supply over a couple of those wires
when it's supposed to turn itself on and off.

But that's all just a guess.  Could someone direct me to a
spec on how this works (especially which wires are which)?

Thanks.

Roger Griffiths <[log in to unmask]>

> Hi Frank, sounds like you've pretty much confirmed that the PSU is dead. The only other thing I would do is disconnect the Mobo connection and check for power flow through the various plugs using a multimeter. I see these come into the workshop everyday and it's easier to get another PSU to
attach to the mobo to try - which tells you straight away if it is a PSU problem or not. If you can borrow one with the same ratings to try then that will tell you for sure. All in all they're not to expensive to replace usually.

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html