From:
Russ Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:26:17 -0500
I believe my HP 7955 is dead after going thru some similar experiences
as you have.  Since it won't boot into anything, I can't continue to try
to find out what really caused the freezes in the first place.  So all I
have now are theories.  What do you think about these possible causes?
1. Power supply drop outs - since it would freeze at different stages of
startup, could there be momentary drops in one or more of the PS
voltages?  The PS tests ok now, but maybe under load it drops out
occasionally.
2. Some driver conflict - maybe since I can't really tell what drivers
load when during boot.  But the fatal failure was during flashing the
BIOS from a bootable floppy when there aren't many drivers loaded.
3. Some firmware failure in the BIOS chip - Seems like it might be a
possibility, but don't see why that could cause a freeze when the
desktop was loaded.
4. Some other hardware failure on the motherboard - I just don't have a
clue about which part or function this might be.
I did chat with a tech at HP and his best conclusion was to replace the
Power Supply and/or motherboard.  That's moot now since I can't get the
computer to boot into anything, and a new motherboard is not cost
justified. And the Power Supply tests good when connected to a tester.
I too have spent a ridiculous amount of time on the HP.  I hope you are
successful in finding and correcting the problem.
Todd Schroeder wrote:
> **UPDATE**
>
> Thank you both for your responses.  I know if I take the computer in I to
> o will possibly be told something along the lines of "its a fried motherb
> oard" or "a corrupted hard-drive", and will have to pay 55 bucks an hour
> for it.
>
> I've spent a ridiculous amount of time working on it, more than any avera
> ge person would, but I believe I can get it back up and working.  All I'v
> e been doing is disconnecting and reconnecting all the ribbons and power
> supply connectors that I had to take out when I put in the new card becau
> se they were in the way.
>
> Occasionally,  (very occasionally sometimes w/o doing anything but restar
> ting)the computer will either boot up in BIOS or it will give me a messag
> e apoligizing, saying the computer detected that it was improperly shutdo
> wn, or that there were hardware changes.  On the later it will begin to c
> ountdown from 30, giving me the option to start up in safe mode, or the "
> last configuration that knowingly worked".
>
> At one point I had selected "Last configuration that knowingly worked" an
> d the computer started up and worked just fine.  This was with my initial
>  TNT2 Pro card.  Now, understand, when this worked, it had been my first
> time unplugging the ribbon that goes into the harddrive, and I thought gr
> eat, the NX6600 probably works fine.  However, before I shut down, I unin
> stalled the drivers for the TNT2 Pro thinking that they may have been cau
> sing a hang-up.
>
> Put the NX6600 back in, back to freezing on "HP Invent" screen.  Tried un
> plugging the ribbon, no luck.  The closest I could get was a black screen
>  with a blinking input.   .... Cursed myself up and down here for being a
>  moron for not just keeping the original AGP card in....and then went bac
> k to installing it back in.   As of now I've got the original card back i
> n, but have not yet been able to get the "last configuration that knowing
> ly worked" screen to come up, without freezing (happened once).
>
> Its very frustrating, not sure whats wrong but the best I can conclude is
>  that its a 5 year old computer and is having some kind of trouble during
>  boot with this hardware change.
>
> Only thing I wondered is that in the BIOS theres an option to reset confi
> guration.  I'm not planning to select "Yes" because I got it to work befo
> re w/o doing so, but was curious to know when you would use that.
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml