From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:05:54 -0700
The router should take care of any WAN threat from an Internet source.
However I would also install Zone Alarm, as well as a virus scanner that
scans in the background, on each computer. This would add another layer of
protection from external attack, as well as protect you from email and user
introduced trojens and viruses.

\ As far as protecting them from the other LAN, I would like more
information. Is the router only used for this 3  PC LAN? Or are other
computers plugged into the router. Is this  going to be a Workgroup or
Domain ? Are the three PCs going to be sharing files, printers and
resources, or are they just sharing the router for Internet access ? Is the
Win2K machine going to be a file server? What is the File system on the
Win2K box. Is it NTFS ?  Are the 3 computers connected to any other
computers, or is this three everything?  If they are sharing files and
resources, are the files on one PC, or spread out on all three. what other
resources are shared and with who. Describe the LAN.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>Our Local Community Hospital has asked me to network 3 computers (2-win98
>1- win2k)in adjoining offices. They are a little paranoid about someone
>(within the hospital) accessing their files.
>The hospital has DSL internet thru a Linksys router. Right now the
>computers are hooked via cat5 ethernet to the DSL router. The DSL
>apparently just works thru the physical connection to the router, as there
>isn't a gateway installed on any of the computers.
>They want to use the DSL on these 3 computers as well as have a secure 3
>computer network that none of the other computers in the building can
>access. The main concern is internal security as the router should act as
>a firewall to stop external access.......right??
>  My first thought was to install 2 nics on each computer and connect them
> with a small hub, but they are already connected via the DSL router.
>  My idea is to use Netbeui only on these three computers and password
> protect file and printer
>sharing. My thought is even if someone installed netbeui on one of the
>other computers the password
>would stop access. Ideas?
><>< Larry Fisk
>          Fisk Computers