Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 20:51:07 +1000
From: "Chris Ryan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 12:37 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Various posts

>        Jun Qian replied to a pevious post from Robert Citkowitz regarding
USB
> and Firewire. I tend to disagree with Juns' take on USB not being able to
> sustain a high transfer rate for data. USB recognizes four types of data
> transfer divided by the peripherals that use them: bulk, interrupt,
> asynchronous, and control. Depending on the type of device used in
> connecting, your data transfer speed will vary. USB also has the advantage
of
> being plug and play friendly and has the ability to be able to "daisy
chain"
> more than a hundred compatible devices. A lot also depends on whether or
not
> your current motherboard has Firewire or USB ( either 1.1 or 2.0 ) built
on
> to it or you will be adding in a PCI card. If it's the latter, your
transfer
> speeds will be limited to the bandwidth on the PCI bus which is 33Mhz.

In chapter 5 of the USB Specification, there are listed of bandwidth of USB.
And also take in notice that, I did not say USB cannot deliver high transfer
rate, all I said (copied the words from reviews, because I know my own
english is not better than their's) was USB transfer can be interrupted,
while firewire does not allow interruption.  www.usb.org has detailed info,
and FAQs on this topic.  USB has its advantages, I do agree on it, but the
weakness is also great.  USB and Firewire are used in different segment.
Firewire is on high-end, and USB is more on mainstream.

Jun Qian

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml