Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 13:31:40 +0000
        Hi.
>   On most systems, there are a pair of pins which you can "short"
> (connect temporarily) to erase all of the CMOS configuration data,
> including any password.[2]  On some systems, these pins carry current
> from the battery, on others, you may have to turn on the system power
> with the pins shorted.
>   On systems without such pins, you can get a very similar effect by
> removing/disconnecting the battery and waiting for a minute or two.
> No short needed in this case -- deprived of battery power, the CMOS
> memory will revert to its default state.  This is probably what you
> were thinking of.

        Removing the battery and waiting for a discharge for a minute or
so is theoretically enough, but not in practice, since:
        -Memory retention voltage uses to be very low.
        -You don't know how many capacitors are retaining charge.
        So my advice is remove the battery AND short every pin of the
cmos chip to ground.

        BTW, don't short directly the battery pins, since you will
damage it.

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]
  Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
  Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
  Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)