From:
"g.Computer9f" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2008 13:06:44 -0400

ERUNT is a small utility that will backup/restore your registry, even if Windows won't start (as long as you use the default backup store C:\Windows\ERDNT\).

Before installing a new program for testing purposes one could

save the registry with ERUNT, install and test the program, uninstall

it and restore the registry to be 100% sure that no debris is left.

You can set it up to automatically create a backup when you boot.  A backup is a dated FOLDER with a number of files in it.  The backups (folders) are by default stored in C:\Windows\ERDNT which is accessible from Windows Recovery Console if Windows won't boot.  You can use a shortcut to run the autobackup at will (like before installing something) - it is blazingly fast - just a split second.

You either need to set it to only save X number of backups or you need to manually delete the oldest occasionally, because the autobackup will just keep adding backups indefinitely, unless you make some provision to keep that from happening.  My memory is fuzzy, because I haven't used it in a while since I use Acronis to image my C drive.  However, I think maybe I will begin again, because it is a DAILY safety thing and I don't run Acronis every day.

I have extensive documentation on installing, backing up, restoring, settings, etc..  I don't remember where I collected it, but if you want to send me an email address, I'll be glad to share it.  (Mine is [log in to unmask])  You could also just type in "erunt" in the google search bar and look for information on your own.

NTREGOPT does a great job of consolidating (not cleaning, but compressing) your registry.  The install file I have, has both ERUNT and NTREGOPT in it (although it just says erunt-setup.exe), but I don't remember where I got it.  I looked again at the site I gave you, above, and that version of ERUNT (the one on the left), apparently INCLUDES NTREGOPT.

AnnaSummers