Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:44:23 -0600
Hello Peter,

Having used both, I totally agree with Art on the Sony and LiteOn drives. I
presently use four OptoRite (12x, 16x, 16x external) drives for recording
and on my main system I use an older NEC ND-1300A as a reader. I am very
pleased with their performance. All burn 4x media at 8x out of box (no
firmware update) and with approaching 300 disks burned, all video except for
a few data disks, I haven't had a single drive error. In addition, I've
experienced no compatibility problems with reading any type disk. I use
Ritek blank disks mostly but they have also handled esa (Circuit City
brand), Optimum, KHypermedia, CompUSA, ProMedia, and Memorex equally well
for me.

And you can't go wrong with NEC, the largest manufacturer of DVD-RW drives.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either to anyone. Here are a couple of
links from Newegg for both. Be sure to check the customer reviews farther
down the page:

Newegg.com: OptoRite DD1603 - $58 w/FedEx Saver S&H:
http://tinyurl.com/3z87l

Newegg.com - NEC ND-3520A BK - $59.99 wFree S&H:
http://tinyurl.com/3zdon

Sven Swanson, Sr.