From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:21:55 -0700
At 01:56 PM 3/9/99 , Cliff J Mark wrote:
>I've noticed that both PCI and ISA modems are available.
>Are there any particular advantages or disadvantages to either bus?

The major difference between the two is that all PCI modems are
WIN-Modems.  The processing is done by the CPU.  ISA modems
typically, at least quality brand modems, relieve the pressure of
processing from the CPU, they are typically easier to configure
for Com ports and have a good proven track record.

The PCI modems are the wave of the future.  Intel has been
pressing chipsets for motherboards that will not support any
ISA slots in the near future.  Motherboards eventually will have
only an AGP slot and a few PCI slots.  That is the reason you
are finding sound cards and modems that use PCI slots.  Eventually,
ISA modems will no longer be on the market, so you might as well
learn to use them now.

Also, remember that the v.90/ 56k standard has been set as the last
standard for modems.  The intent is that data delivery to computers
in the near future will use much faster connections such as cable
modems, DSL and other direct networking solutions.   The 56K
standard is the limit for a modem to modem connect using a
telephone line.

As far as the effect of an ISA slot vs. a PCI slot in data transfer at
56k, there is no difference.   Both slots will handle a great
deal more data transfer than a 56k modem can achieve.

The final issue than is not so much ISA vs PCI, but like all components,
the quality of the product.  I always recommend using components
from manufacturers with a proven track record, in this case
US Robotics, now 3Comm.  Either ISA or PCI, they build modems
with the least amount of problems, at least in my experience.

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group, Inc.
   http://nospin.com

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: