From:
Ben Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 20:17:34 -0400
Jim is correct, they are not related.  The only things you hear from the
system speaker are bios level alerts, like the beeps at boot up and temp
alarms in some cases.  There are four pins on the motherboard connector for
the system speaker but only two, one on each end are used.  The middle two
are not used.

The sounds that you are calling system sounds are the standard windows
sounds the OS uses when you install a sound card.  These are accessed
through the sound applet in the Control Panel.

There is a driver that Microsoft used to offer that would let you hear other
sounds, just beeps really, through the system speaker but I haven't seen it
for a while and I really don't remember much about it.  It seems to me that
Win3.1 and maybe early Win95 would play some default beeps this way.   Maybe
someone else on the list remembers more than I do about it.

Ben Moore