From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 02:15:48 +0000
Can someone tell me how a DOS window gets its keyboard mapping?
I guess what I need to do is change the scan code to character code
translation. I've half-done the job another way....

I use a Dell Latitude portable having a British keyboard layout
running Win95a with Regional Settings English(British),
with an external US Windows keyboard.

Using the US keyboard with the English(British) setting
means that no key gives me a backslash, inconvenient
because I often write DOS batch commands and
keying the Alt-key combination is a nuisance.
(It's more convenient to reach across to the Latitude keyboard.)

So I searched for a file containing a table of characters
which might be a keyboard map and found C:\Windows\System\Kbduk.kbd,
which I backed up then patched using Debug to swap the backslash 5CH
for the grave accent 60H which I never use.

This works fine in a Windows application, but in a DOS window
I still get the grave accent, not helpful for directory paths.

I wasn't able to find another keyboard table to cure this,
so my guess is that, at a lower level, Windows uses a different
technique to translate keyboard scan codes to characters and
this is shared between Win95 and the DOS box.

Then Win95 remaps its own input using the regional Kbd??.kbd

So what I need to do is find and modify the scan code translation.
Can someone point me to the file containing the code for this?

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html