From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 22:12:23 -0700
Hi, I read past postings on this matter from the list's archives and stirred
up enough curiosity
to install a 10.0GB Maxtor HDD Ultra 66 onto a Intel based system with a
1997 AMI BIOS v2.5:
Here's  my results:
      1.) BIOS detected a 8GB w/ 16383cyl 16hd 63sec (upgraded BIOS from
v1.7 prior)
      2.) Win98SE Fdisk reports a 9.8GB
      3.) I partitioned C:\ for 5GB & D:\ for 4.8GB
      4.) After restarting I format both partitions using a Win98SE bootdisk
      5.) I copied Win98 from CD to D:\Win98
      6.) Installation of Win98SE completes w/o error
      7.) Win98SE shows HDD capacity at 9.51GB
      8.) Partition Magic v3.0 (v4.0 supports larger drives)  sees it at
8GB, same as the BIOS
I hope this shows just because your BIOS is limited to 8GB doesn't mean you
can't Fdisk the full
capacity of your drive. As long as your OS or Win version supports large
drives such as
Windows 98 second edition.
In my case Maxtor also provides a boot utility for HDD setup that I could
have used as well.
http://www.maxtor.com/library/main.html
You could check your HDD manufacturer for the same if your OS doesn't
support large drives.

About your 1GB partion - I would remove your 2nd HDD (D:\) and redo Fdisk
Install Windows again then hook up your 2nd HDD last.
By doing it this way you can ensure you don't set the wrong drive active.
And physical drives always get priority over partitions and CD drives so
your old
drive will come up again as D:\
Also are you sure about your HDD jumper settings for slave and master ?
Pin #1 reference is 99% of the time closest to power input.
Good luck - and if nothing else look at what you've learned so far.
-yui