From:
Clinton A Worley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 09:23:21 -0500
Hi list,
Called Microsoft today and asked about ordering the service pack for
Win98.
The only one available is for Win98 first edition.
They will not offer the second edition service pack until after the files
are unavailable for download.
They say they will be available for purchase at a later date.
FYI, they still offer a service pack cd for win95.
It seems like even though they say they will not support an OS, they just
pull the link to the downloads.
Not sure what else they plan to do as far as tech support.
Thats not the issue here.
The shipping fee is around $6 for whichever cd you want to buy.
I bought the IE 6 SP1 cd several months ago.
I can't D/L a 75M file here.
It would take me a whole day.
Can't tie up my phone line that long even if I could stay connected the
whole time.
Lousy phone lines here with no help offered from ma bell.
So I just bought the cd.
Since then I have had several people in the same situation as me ask me
for a copy.
Microsoft did mention that I could ask someone with a fast connection to
D/L and burn a cd of all the files available.
They have no problem with that, they are free anyway.
I wonder if the purchased cd will offer an interface like the website
that will scan your system and tell you what if any updates you actually
need or do you just have to install all of them wither you need to or
not?
FYI,
Clint

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:36:23 -0600 Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> michele;
> I found this at:
> http://www.activewin.com/tips/short/short_tips_1.shtml
> "You can backup windows update files prior to pressing the ok sign
> after
> downloading
> the updates by: loading explorer goto \windows you should see a
> msdownld.tmp
> folder
> containing the updates.
> *you may have to view all files*"
> I have never tried it, but it sounds promising.
>
> I also found where you can order a windows 98 service pack cd from
> microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/servicepacks/Wind
ows/98/
> All it says on price is  "a nominal shipping and handling charge may
> be
> required"
>          Larry Fisk
>           Fisk Computers