From:
Christopher Zguris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:49:55 -0700
At 12:07 PM 4/23/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I have HP printers at work and they all eventually have the same problem.
>After a period of time, they accumulate lines going horizontally across the
>printed document and just overall have a smudging effect.  We have cleaned
[...]
>Susan Hays

I've seen (and experienced) that problem on Canon bubble-jet-based printers
and fax machines, my solution was to remove and reinstall the cartridge
until the problem cleared. In those cases, it was most likely due to a
bad/dirty connection between the print head and printer contacts. I've
heard the using a pencil eraser on them can sometimes clean them, without
causing damage to anything. Not knowing anything about HPs, I can't comment
beyond that.

On old dot matrix printers, the printhead would gum-up, the solution in
that case was to clean the "dots" of the head with rubbing alchohol.
However, I have _no_ idea_ what this will do to an ink jet, I suspect it
would probably be bad.

Christopher Zguris

[log in to unmask] / http://www.christopherzguris.com

                            The NOSPIN Group