From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:48:28 -0500
> I would like to build a home peer-to-peer network that shares a
> cable modem
> internet connection, but I am not sure whether the setup that I
> have in mind
> will fly.  I presently have a Cat5 cable coming out of the modem,
> going to a
> USB 10/100 Ethernet adapter, then a USB cable into the existing computer.
> There is no NIC installed.  This is the arrangement the local ISP
> provided,
> and it appears to work fine.  What I would like to do is run the Cat5 from
> the modem into a 4-port hub, then the Cat5/USB line out of hub
> into existing
> computer, and finally a Cat5 cable off of the hub into a NIC in the second
> computer.  I have briefly tried to establish a connection using
> this setup,
> but I cannot get the port light to illuminate on the hub when I
> connect the
> modem.  Both computers get a green light at the hub when connected.

     The reason you don't get the green light is because you need to use a
"cross over" cable to connect the hub to the modem. However, this may still
not solve your problems. Most Cable providers only supply one IP, you will
have to contact them to determine whether they supply more than one IP and
if they charge for it. An easier (and probably cheaper) alternative is to
install a NIC in the computer connected to the modem through USB and use
gateway software (Windows comes with ICS but it's pretty basic, I find
SyGate serves my needs fully) to allow the internet connection to be shared
with the second computer. The only disadvantage of this arrangement is the
primary computer has to be on in order to share the connection. TTYL.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html