From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 22:33:04 -0500
At 10:36 AM 4/3/99 Joan Rapier wrote:

>I have a HP and a Micron computer coming in to me for svc. nxt wk....
>
>My client wants to take his OEM (Micron - Akita) USR X2 modem and drop
>it in the HP machine - and install the OEM's v.90 upgrade.  I'll be
>cleaning off the drives of both machines and building them back up again
>w/ Win98.  Are you folks aware of any standing issues when trying to
>install off-the-shelf (non-OEM) software (incl. OS) and hardware in HP
>and MICRON machines?

Joan:

You should have no problem since US Robotics install about
as well as any modem will (except USR winmodems). Win98
should be no problem, generally, unless there is incompatible
hardware installed (such as proprietary SCSI cards, including
older Scanjet adapters). Save all device drivers.

About the toughest thing to do is figure out how to open
the case. Micron and HP are well made, though the trick to
opening them may be counter-intuitive. Definitely ask the
owner for manuals and check out the company websites.

The usual caveats apply. Verify the CMOS hotkey, hard drive
parameters, the BIOS, whether there are any secret partitions
or dynamic drive overlays, inventory the system, chart the
system resources, backup device drivers, check for viruses,
etc.

You might replace the existing hard drive with an empty
drive and try installing Windows 9x to it, if you have any
trepidation. Keep the old drive as the backup.

Good Luck.

John Chin
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://profchin.virtualave.net/