From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:08:31 -0800
On  1 Oct 98 at 10:33, John Chin wrote:

> I am seeking recommendations for motherboards (to
> be used in upgrading school computers) that meet
> the following criteria:
>
>    1. Baby AT (or smaller) Socket 7 motherboard
>        supporting classic Pentium (P54C), Pentium MMX
>        (P55C), AMD K-5, K-6, Cyrix, IBM, IDT Winchips
>        CPUs (support for the AMD K6-2 3D CPUs is
>        desirable but not expected) , contain at least three
>        16-bit ISA slots and use proven, mainstream
>        chipsets and onboard ports.
>
>    2. Suitable for use in upgrading existing computers
>        of a variety of case form factors where ease of
>        configuration and installation is desirable. However,
>        jumperless designs are not desirable because they
>        are not sufficiently tamperproof.
>
>    3. Quality, compatibility, dependability and durability
>        (as grade school students will be the users) are
>        mandatory.
>
>    4. Must be from an established company with an
>        acceptable (industry standards) warranty, good
>        real time and on-line support and whose products
>        have a low RMA rate.
>
>    5. Cost of product is important and will be bought
>        in volume at wholesale, with a price ceiling of, say,
>        $80 per unit (value is always a factor).
>
>    6. Excellent motherboards with integrated, industry
>        standard sound and video chipsets would be also
>        be considered.

  Someone has already mentioned the FIC VA503+.  I would recommend
that IF 100 MHz and AGP support is important to you -- and I don't
see those specified above.  If you can live for a while with 66/75
MHz speeds and PCI video, I really like the EFA "Viking II".  [Their
"Viking III" adds 100 MHz and AGP support but drops SIMMs entirely
for DIMMs; the VA503+ is more versatile and comparable in price, and
so I consider it a better deal.]
  Like the VA503+, the Viking II has both AT and ATX power connectors
(your point 2), baby AT form factor (your point 1) and 75 MHz support
(specified for some Cyrix CPUs).  4 SIMM slots and 2 DIMM slots
accept FPM/EDO/SDRAM.  Shrouds around the motherboard ports make it
essentially impossible to get the cables misaligned with the
connectors -- I consider this a desirable feature when assembly may
be performed by inexperienced technicians.
  I've recently see this board for about $70-80 retail; you can
probably do better buying in bulk (your point 5).

  Read more about it at:

http://www.efacorp.com/products/vikingII.htm

[I have no professional connection to EFA; I am running a Viking I
and a Viking II on my home LAN, and my Dad has a Viking I and a
friend has a Viking II on my recommendation; no problems to date.  I
DO also have a VA503+ as my main workstation....]

David G

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**