From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:15:38 -0500
From: "Douglas Simmons" Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 9:57 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] IBM Thinkpad

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 07:43:20 -0500
> I have had many ThinkPads over the past 6 years and this is
> a classic example of a bad battery.  It will seem to take a
> charge and it's voltage will read properly with a meter, but
> when under load it's voltage rapidly drops to a low value.
> I've never had any luck in reviving one with these symptoms.
> Unfortunately the batteries are very expensive, even the
> after-market brands.
>
> Doug
>
> Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > I have an IBM ThinkPad 755CD which run perfectly except
> > when you disconnect the power.  The battery is fully
> > charged, but after disconnecting the AC power or powering
> > up with out the AC power on, within two minutes it just
> > shuts down.  It was donated to a Cub Scout troop and I
> > was hoping to get it working for them.  I have searched
> > IBM's site but have found no information on problems like
> > this.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I could fix it?

Doug,

This is a brand new battery (my though it might be defective) but when I start the computer back up and check the battery charge it shows about 98%.  Is there any other way to check to see if the battery is defective?  I do not have a ThinkPad that old.  By the time the troop had brought it to me to check it, I was told that they don't think they can return it anymore.

Mary Wolden

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>