From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 01:05:53 -0800
On 11 Dec 98 at 15:23, Dale wrote:

> I have about 7 P133MMX's that need to be upgraded to a faster
> processor. I was going to put in a new Motherboard with a Slot 1
> to run a PII or Celeron chip. Now that Intel has come out with
> Celeron on a new chip style, that requires a different socket
> (Believe it is called a PGA 370 ?) would it make sense to use that
> style of motherboard ? It sort of sounds like the slot 1 experiment
> by intel is over and now they want us to use a different socket,
> that supposedly will result in faster, cheaper and easier to
> produce chips. Does anyone have a different slant on this ? Is slot
> 1 going to be around in the near future ?

  Slot 1 is going to be around for a while yet, for the Pentium II
line.  The 370-pin socket is strictly for Celeron processors, and is
limited to 66 MHz FSB.  Apparently too many people have been sticking
cheap Slot 1 Celerons into 440BX motherboards and cranking the FSB
up to about 100 MHz, getting performance similar to a PII-400 for a
fraction of the pricetag.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html