From:
Loy Pressley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:29:55 -0500
Hi Mark,

I do have Partition Magic 8.0.  It shows that I have only one partition
on Drive C: and the following information:

type:  FAT32
size MB:  38,262.2
Used MB:  15,992.8
Unused MB:  14,246.7
Pri/Log:  Primary

If you will notice, the used and unused MB reported by Partition Magic
add up to a total of 30,239.5 MB.  That means that there is a difference
of 8,022.7 MB between the total of the used and unused MB and the size
of the drive (38,262.2 minus 30,239.5 = 8,022.7 MB).  What happened to
the 8,022.7 MB?

Partition Magic does not show any problem with the disk.  It does not
show any hidden partition.  The 30,239.5 total of the used and unused MB
is what is reported by WinXP as the capacity of Drive C:

If I could somehow recover the missing 8+ gigs of space on Drive C:, I
could, perhaps, add another partition with Partion Magic and store only
data in that partition so that it could be backed up easily and I would
not have to purchase a larger hard drive anytime soon.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Loy

Mark Tretter wrote:

> Since it is a Dell, it may have a hidden partition that accounts for the
> missing space.  If you use a partition program like "Partition Magic" it
> should show all partitions.  Then you should be able to carry out your
> plan
> as described below.  I have done this and have also transferred the
> hidden
> partition as well and it has worked.  I have also tried it without
> transferring the hidden partition and it worked ok too.  YMMV

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml