From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:39:19 -0700
Art Sauder wrote:
I am contemplating the purchase of a new printer I am considering
the Photo 700 and wanting good picture output as well as some
hobbywork. I would appreciate input from anyone who cares to give
it regarding suitability of this printer. I have no questions or
concerns about it's photo capability.

With my experience demonstrating and selling these fine printers
I will say the choice is good for doing photographs.

The Epson Stylus 700 Photo was designed for the avid amateur and
professional photographer. It will do a very good job reproducing
just about any type of picture be it scanned, taken from a
floppy,CD or downloaded from the net.

This printer, like all of the Epson line, except the 440, will
print in a maximum resolution of 1440x720 on premium paper like
Ink jet or glossy.

You can print on a wide range of media from plain paper to iron
on transfers which means it provides the greatest flexibility.

In a recent Windows Magazine Hardware Review, dated August 1998,
http://www.winmag.com/library/1998/0801/rev0050.htm or Epson's
sight as follows http://www.epson.com/printer/inkjet/styphoto700/
(sigh,
I hope I did this right)

In a test, Windows Magazine stated that the Epson 700 printed
1.45ppm for a three page mixed document. Slow? Yes. However, if
your primary objection is to print photos, this machine will do
an excellent job.

Print speeds depend upon system configuration, software
application, page complexity, the amount of page covered and
print settings.

On the other hand, if you're not fussy about six color printing,
(which bolsters the mid tone shades), or four color printing, I
would recommend the Epson Stylus
740.http://www.epson.com/printer/inkjet/sty740/
 This is a new machine on the market and it will do a good job of
printing text, (laser quality) and printing pictures that are
close to what the 700 can
do.

I have printed the same pictures on both machines and if you look
carefully, you can see the difference. To the person wanting
better speed and good quality, this would be a good choice of
printer.

"The 740 will print a black text memo in approximately 10 seconds
(6ppm)
Color speed is approximately 5ppm (Text and color graphics) Photo
speed on a 4x6 glossy is about 1.5 minutes and a 8x10 will run in
about 3 minutes." Not too bad for a middle of the road machine.
As I stated earlier, I have printed real samples on the 700 and
740. My choice between the two would be the 740 for it's speed,
up to 6ppm mono, 5ppm Color and the good quality of the photos.

This machine has "174 nozzles for the black ink which means you
can get up to 900 pages of text, (iso/iec 10561 letter pattern)up
to 634 pages of graphics (5% coverage). The color ink life is
about 300 pages (15% coverage)."

The machine will give you decent speed and a good print. For
those who really love speed, I would recommend the 850......No
I'm not going to go there right now. <smile>

I hope this will answer some of the questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka

                                  -----