From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2007 03:31:43 -0400
Chuck Finnigan wrote:
>My wife has gone thru about 4 keyboards in the last few years. She
>wears out the letters on the keys with a combination of her pounding
>style of 'touch' typing (a misnomer if ever) and, i surmise, lots of
>hand lotion. I know she won't go for plastic covers. Does anyone know
>of any companies that make sturdy keyboards whose letters will stand
>the test of time? (She's been pounding the keyboards for 20 years now
>and it's only recently i've seen this type of wear and tear.) Maybe i
>should just consider it a consumable item and get her a new one every
>so often? They are cheap.

I prefer heavy, well built keyboards like the original IBM PC-AT
keyboards. I had three of them and they lasted for over twenty years
before giving out. Now I have three Avant keyboards (available from
<http://www.cvtinc.com/products/keyboards/menu.htm>). They're expensive
($150 each) but (in my opinion) worth the money. They weigh 5 lb, solid
steel base construction, mechanical click/tactile key switches,
standard "QWERTY" 104 or 116 key layout, 12 or 24 function keys, Macro
programming features, Sticky Keys to allow users with limited dexterity
to perform multiple key functions, PS/2 Interface. Optional PS/2 to USB
converter and plastic, custom molded membrane skins to cover the
keyboard and protect against spilled liquids (spills eventually killed
my IBM keyboards).

Regards,
Bill