From:
Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 22:29:41 +1000
TX chipset is limited to cache upto 64Mb RAM, I don't think you can cache
all of 96Mb you installed. However I believe more ram is still helpful if
you do lots of graphices job.
the biggest bottleneck of your system I believe is the graphics card, it's
only 2Mb! you need to get a better one (say 16Mb).

J Qian

Jimmy Fikes wrote:

> I have installed 96 mb of RAM and have not seen the improvements in
> performance I wanted (I work with a lot of graphics).  I have a HP
> Pavilion 8160 with an Intel 82439TX Triton TX Chipset, running a Pentium
> MMX 234MHz processor.  The motherboard is Asus TX97XV, ver. 1.12.   I
> use SiSoft Sandra for system information.  It says that I have 96mb
> installed memory (146% true allocated load).  The L2External Cache is
> 256KB pipeline-burst write-back.  I installed three 32 mb chips, one
> each in Memory Bank 0, 2, and 3 (as shown in SiSoft Sandra).  My video
> card is ATI 3D RAGE II+(Direct X) with 2MB of memory.  In a performance
> tip, SiSoft Sandra says, "Chipset may not be able to cache all the
> physical memory installed."  It also says, "512KB of L2 cache is
> recommended for large memory systems.  Some memory may not be cached."
> What can I do to enhance or upgrade my system to take advantage of the
> 96mb RAM?

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]