From:
"Richard T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 22:26:24 -0400
Hi Art.,
        I'm using 2  333 pentium 2's with 256 megs of sdram in my other machine. This one was a 333 P11with 256 megs of sdram. The dual machine is substantially faster, especially when using processor intensive programs like Adobe Photo shop. More important, the Win NT 4.0 w/s.P6 is far more stable, and IMHO superior to win 95-98, once you understand it's nuances. I do not know of a chart which will show you the comperable
operating MHZ, but it seems to be like the difference between torque and horsepower in an automobile engine,( the 2 processors setup have the torque advantage) Upgradability will depend on which motherboard you choose. In my case, it's a Tyan Thunder11 which I bought about a year ago, fully knowing that2- 333's would be as far as it could go (66 mhz bus) but I wanted to find out the answer to your same question personally,
but without spending a lot of $$. No regrets here, other than the cheaping out part!!

Be well and good luck in your decision!
Richard Tabas
Philly Pa.

Art Coleman wrote:

> ** PRIVATE **
>
> Hello,
>
> I am pondering the idea of building a PC.  I would like to explore the pros and cons of using a dual processor or single processor system?  I am looking for a web site, detailed articles or discussions on this subject.
>
> In a dual application, it is my understanding that using two 500 MHZ processors does not mean that the combined processors will operate at 1 GHz, but the system will still operate  well in excess of 500 MHZ.    Are there any empirical data or studies available that one can use to determine how two processors will operate within a system, or is this primarily based on the specifics of the system?
>
> If a dual processor system does indeed have merit, would the trade-off be a lack of conventional operation systems, expensive hardware, frequent system crashes, etc.   Are dual processors as up gradable as single processor system.   Will dual processor systems eventually compete with single processor systems for dominance?  Do you have any suggestions on components, etc.     I thank you very much for your expert advise.
>
> Art Coleman
>
>                 Curious about the people moderating your
>                    messages? Visit our staff web site:
>                      http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions