From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 17:30:02 +1000
Christopher wrote:
>I install Vista Ultimate on one PC. It is an HP Pavilion a1700n
>
>I remove the 40 GB IDE HD from the HP PC and put it into a Compaq EVO
>510 PC.
>
>Result:  Vista does not boot.>>

You would expect this. When activated, Vista is licensed to run only on one
computer.  If you install it to another computer (or the same computer with
different hardware) you would have to reactivate it with Microsoft, as it
is not now recognising the same hardware.

In this case, I imagine Microsoft would regard it as a second use, for
which you would have to purchase an additional licence.

But I have no experience with activation---so I guess you should try them
and see if you can persuade them that it is the same computer. I believe
they are reasonably lenient about allowing hardware upgrades. I doubt this
situation would qualify, unless perhaps you can persuade them that your
original computer is no longer alive.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com