Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:45:45 +1000
My operating system is XP Pro and all you suggested except for Safe Mode
were tried. However, today the CD burner is functional again. I guess it
needed a good nights rest :)-. Thanks to all who replied with suggestions.

Alan Priol

Try removing both in device manager (what OS are you running?). Highlight
each one in device manager and click remove, then yes when asked if you're
sure.  Try booting into safe mode and checking again in device manager to
see how many CD and DVD devices are installed.  Whatever you find there
remove. If add/remove programs shows software for these devices after you
remove them in device manager, remove/uninstall it. You should be able to
reinstall the CD now.

>I removed my CD burner and replaced it with a DVD burner to try out before
>putting it in another computer. After removing it and replacing the CD
>burner I am not able to get the CD burner to function. All references to
the
>DVD drive have been removed from the registry as with any software. Device
>manager still shows it as being installed as well as the CD burner and CD
>reader. Uninstalling the drivers and disabling the drive has no effect. I
>uninstalled and removed the CD burner from the computer and then replaced
>it. The New Hardware Wizard found it and installed it's drivers again.
Still
>no burning available. What else can be done?
>Thanks for any help.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>