From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:10:55 EDT
In a message dated 6/29/03 3:21:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I had the same problem with a similar setup and never got it to work
> despite
> many suggestions from the list and lots of research. When I switched to
> cable and installed a router I had instant success.
> *************************
>
> Ouside of enabling ICS on the Win98 machine, I haven't done anything else to
> that computer. All the proper components are listed in the Network
> Neighborhood Properties dialog box.
>
> Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

Unfortunately in some cases that may be the only option.  I spent two and a
half hours on the phone with  MS tech support uninstalling and reinstalling
just about everything connected with networking and ICS.  At the end the tech
said he would forward the problem up the chain and I would get a fix via email.
That was over a year ago and I still haven't gotten anything.  Shortly after
wasting all that time with M$ tech support, I bought a router that was
suggested here on the list.  After all of 15 minutes of hook-up and going up/down from
the attic (that's where the hub is) all four comps had internet access, could
see the other comps, and could share files back and forth.  Save yourself the
heartache and time and get the router.

hth,
Kevin Nowicki

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,