From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:50:45 -0700
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>    I'm working on several laptops and have a couple of questions. Where do
I find a little star head screwdriver that will take off the screws on a 2.5
inch hard drive? Also does anyone know where I can get an AC adapter for an
Ascentia 950N? I found new ones for $94, but this is an older P75 laptop
with 8 meg of RAM and 500 MB HD. I really would like to get a used adapter
for about half that price.

You will need a torx head driver unless their is a pin in the middle of the
star,then you would need a tamper-proof torx driver. These can be
found at Sears, Radio Shack, or just about any well stocked hardware
retailer. They come as interchangeable tips, drivers, folding sets, etc.
Sizes are rated as T3,T5,T10,etc. If you have trouble locating some,
try this site www.jensentools.com. They have everything imaginable in
tools, cases, testers, etc.
For your adapter I would first try surplus electronics sources like
Nuts & Bolts...they may have new ones at a good price.
I use to have a business that serviced laptops and I can tell you we
replaced a lot of AC adapters. It's not worth getting a used adapter
that charges so irregularly, or overcharges because it will shorten
your battery's effectiveness.
Our OEM's told us they only had a efficient life expectancy of
2 years because of heat damage caused by lack of ventilation.
-yui

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html