From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 17:09:22 -0600
My system may be somewhat unique, but I suspect that will be changing as
time passes.

I have a 512Kbps rADSL connection through US West.  My network here at home
consists of between six and eight computers in two rooms.  In order to cut
down on cable "sprawl", I have two hubs, one for each room.  In the "server"
room, a Linksys 8 port 10baseT hub supports three to five systems and the
ADSL bridge.  An Asante 8 port 10baseT hub is uplinked to the Linksys hub in
another room, supporting another three systems.  The ADSL bridge isn't
exactly a router...US West supplies that functionality, but the way that
their system is configured, any computer on the network automatically gets
an IP address from US West's DHCP server and any of the systems can access
the Internet concurrently with a net aggregate bandwidth equal to the total
bandwidth of the ADSL connection.  Makes sense?

If you have access to a system similar to this, such as to an ISDN or other
digital service that provides IP addresses through a DHCP server that sees
the computers on your end as part of a bigger network, then I would opt for
the bridge/router to hub scenario that I use.

If, however, you don't have such connectibility, then I would look to either
something like Wingate to act as the bridge/router, or perhaps Linux or
FreeBSD with IP masquerading (Wingate and its ilk are SUBSTANTIALLY easier
to implement).

Addressing a couple of your points specifically, almost any ISDN solution is
probably going to be quite expensive, from a dollars to bandwidth
perspective, particularly the insta-LAN device.  Probably the cheapest
configuration would be to use a dialup analog modem along with some sort of
routing software, a la Wingate, since it does not require any dedicated
hardware.

The ADSL scenario is extremely cost effective, I think.  The initial setup
is a bit on the high end of a modem/ISP (about $250), but the monthly cost
is pretty reasonable.  All told, my cost for a continuous 512Kbps connection
and the ISP service is $80 per month.  That's about twice what I paid for a
second phone line and dialup 56K modem service.  My understanding is that
cable modems are similar in price/performance and have the potential for
greater bandwidth.

Incidentally, all of the file downloads associated with this list
(http://www.nospin.com/pc) are located at
ftp://adsl12.bois.uswest.net/pub/nospin_files on a Linux-powered computer.
The ADSL solution is operating system independent, as long as the system
supports DHCP...I even have a BeOS system on the network from time to time.

Drew Dunn
http://adsl24.bois.uswest.net/drew/index.htm

> some of the particulars of his home network with a suggestion
> that the Wingate
> software application was critical to allowing simultaneous
> workstation sharing
> both of the communication device and of the ISP account over an
> intranet.  A
> review of the Wingate website might confirm that this aspect of
> his response
> was eminently correct.
>      This leave the hardware issues unaddressed.  Absent a legacy
> equipment
> burde, in specifying telephone intranet connectivity hardware to an ISP or
> just to POTS, what factors might prompt one to prefer among the following
> standard combinations:
> 1)    a hub & router combination
> 2)    a hub & ISDN terminal adapter insta-LAN connection
> 3)    an integrated hub/ISDN T/A connection device
> 4)    a hub & high-speed analog modem, or
> 5)    some combination from the group.
>       Both initial and operating expenses must be a factor
> balanced against
> speed, bandwidth and access considerations.  Obviously, initial
> capital cost
> argue against a 10/100 kbs sensing hub and router combination.
> Mr. Wright has
> suggested that exaggeratedly high digital telephone service charges have
> influenced his analog configuration.  It might be that multiple
> ISP account
> and POTS charges have persuaded him against a bound analog modem
> configuration.  I'm, informed that some ISP's increase service
> rates for ISDN
> T/A access even when intermittent and that they charge
> substantially more yet
> for uninterrupted digital router access.
>      There are probably characteristics of the hardware that
> enter into the
> selection.
>      In selecting intranet connectivity hardware, just what factors and
> choices have listmembers made and do they continue to believe
> them correct?

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**