From:
Tom Sykora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 17:26:09 -0500
Hi,
I posted here last week regarding setting up an old Pentium 166 as an
Internet machine for my father, and was concerned that I couldn't find the
drivers for its NewCom sound card.   Update:  Win98 loaded chip set drivers
for the sound card and I have sound!  When I checked the driver files in
Win98, there was nothing listed for NewCom, so I figured I was screwed, but
apparently what is necessary or what Win98 looks for is chip set info to
match with drivers...

After successfully loading Mcafee Utilities, I ran Discover Pro to check
video card, CPU, memory, and hard disk performance.  (incidentally, I did a
custom install of Mcafee, and discovered that the First Aid module takes
over 300mbs of hard disk space, so I didn't install FA on this 850 mb hard
drive)
I had forgotten that this system only has 16 megs of ram, but the system
has worked fine so far!  Our of curiosity, I checked performance/system
resources in control panel, and found out that after a few downloads and
installs, the 16 megs were reported and ram usage was at 84% plus or minus
a few percent.  Go figure. (I did un check  many apps showing up
in  run/msconfig tho )

I ordered another 32 meg dimm for the machine, and now only have to
determine if the modem, a 33.6 NewCom will run any better with its original
drivers, or if I am ok with the "standard modem" 33.6 drivers Win98 picked.

Regards,
Tom Sykora

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org