From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:09:52 -0700
I would like to toss in a comment regarding home networking. IF YOU CAN DO
IT, use a wired network instead of wireless. The wireless makes sense only
for laptops and difficult to reach locations. The reason for my
recommendations is SECURITY!!!

When my daughter came home after graduating from college, I set up her
wireless system so her laptop would be tied to the network. My other
computers (3 of them) are tied to a wired network. When my daughter
complained of slow and intermittent network operation on her laptop, I was
surprised to find that she was actually connecting to our neighbor's
network. Looking further, I found yet another network in the neighborhood
that her computer could connect to.

I went over to the neighbor and helped him add some security settings to
avoid being compromised as he was. A malicious person could have cause
problems for his system. As it was, my daughter's connection only slowed
down his own operations somewhat.

IF you decide to go with wireless anyway, be sure you understand the
security issues and set your security options accordingly.

Peter