From:
Patrick Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 09:43:31 -0700
>        I thought to get de IDE connector and solder it to the MoBo.
>I have no experience with these things, I'm only an "amateur".
>
> Well,my question is: What is the risk of make this?. I can damage
>my MoBo?

My thoughts: don't even think of trying to solder an ide connector to the
motherboard. given how tightly packed the AST boards are a little too much
heat and you get yourself a new machine. (I've never had any reasonable
success in putting non-AST mb in AST boxes without resorting to drills,
dremel tools, files, saws, hammers and other implements of art.)

Your best course of action is to get an add in IDE card and disable the mb
IDE channel in CMOS.  Have done it at work and it's really a better solution.

Patrick Meyer
A French Norman in a foreign land,
pining for the fiords.