From:
Steve Rossiter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 14:23:46 -0500
Hi everyone,
   A local gaming shop is closing down and selling all their pc units for $500. They're configured roughly as follows:

 Brand:    Asus
 Drive:    20 GB
 CPU:      800 MHz Pentium III Celeron
 RAM:      Guy didn't know but I'm guessing 32-64 MB for gaming
 Graphics: Voodoo III of some sort
 Monitor:  19" Samsung Synchmaster 955DF
 NIC:      Couldn't tell if it was integrated
 CD-ROM:   No indication of type or price
 Speakers: Little runt units but they're there

 That's all I could tell from looking at the backside and asking the attendant. I thought the monitor alone might make the deal worth it but looking at PriceWatch shows they go for around $250, in fact a quick tally showed I could get of all the components for about $500 so the only real deal is perhaps the convenience of being able to pick it up and start using it until AMD Hammers come out when I plan to build the big rig.

 Looking at the Asus sites shows these units are probably older versions of their Terminator III series. Their site is so sparse on information that I could hardly tell what went into the things but it looks like they're sold new for about $400. Take a look if you want the thrill of seeing a true generic box. http://usa.asus.com/desktop/termp3/overview.htm

 Since these are the same guys that make great motherboards I might be a little more confident in the build quality versus say an e-machine. Would you spend money like this or put together something considerably better by building it yourself for a few hundred more?