From:
Loy Pressley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:01:44 -0500
I'm no longer getting the message.  I don't know what happened.  Maybe I
jarred a connection or something on the mother board when I changed out
the hard drive and its gotten back in position somehow when I moved the
tower around on the desktop.  At any rate, the problem seems to have
disappeared.  Thanks to all who replied.

At the risk of making this a very long running subject, I have another
problem.  How do I format or, more precisely, reformat an external hard
disk?  I have tried going to DOS and formatting it and, naturally, the
drive doesn't show up in DOS.  I went to the command prompt in WinXP and
tried to format it--I get an error message that it cannot format the
drive.  I went into WinXP Administrative Tools under Control Panel and
tried to format it that way--got the same message as above; cannot
format the drive.  So far, everything I've tried has given the same
result--cannot format the drive.

The drive I want to format is the 40 gig hard drive that I removed when
I installed the new hard drive.  It is in a USB 2.0 drive enclosure
attached to this computer.  The files on the drive are perfectly readable.

Am I correct in my assumption that the drive CANNOT be reformatted in
the USB 2.0 enclosure.  To reformat it I will have to remove it from the
enclosure and attach it to the IDE controller cable inside my computer
as a slave drive and reformat  there?

Thanks...

Loy

Tom Mayer wrote:

>Try adjusting the refresh rate to 60 Hz if you are using an LCD monitor.
>Right click on desktop, select properties/settings/advanced/monitor. If the
>message no longer comes up on startup, that was the right correction.
>
>Tom Mayer

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com