From:
John Dinges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:19:22 -0700
Peter-
You are running an Intel P4 cpu which supposedly doesn't  have heat problems
so this may not be of help
I have a similiar situation with my box. I am running an AMD Athlon XP2000+
cpu . After checking everything I could think of, I started monitoring the
cpu temp closely with PC Alert III Sytem Monitor. This gives me a continuous
moment to moment reading of the cpu and chassis temps. The cpu normally runs
at about 44 to 46c but for some as yet undetermined reason it will suddenly
jump up to 50 or 51c. At that point it will usually freeze. Only way out is
to hit reset. Have cleaned, installed more fans, Renewed thermal compound,
installed different amounts and brands of memory, but problem seems to
persist. I was a computer tech for 20 years so it is rather vexing that I
cannot seem to pin point the exact cause.

HTH
John Dinges