From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 21:55:17 +0100
>Changhsu Liu wrote:
>>>I added a second drive to my system.
>>>Is there a way to make the old drive: c, d, e, f; new
>>>one: g, h, i, j?
>>
>Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>This can be accomplished if you FDISK the slave drive such that
>>it does not have a primary partition.... Then use FDISK
>>to create four logical drives inside this extended partition.
>
>Rick Glazier asks:
>... Is it just as safe, with no
>hidden draw backs or pitfalls waiting to "get" me?
>
>OK I lied, the second question is: Will all "manor"
>of HD controller hardware (and HD software drivers) handle
>this type of configuration the same at all times?
>Part two is a "go try it" question, sorry...   ;-)))      Rick

The order in which drive letters are assigned is a fundamental
property of the Microsoft operating system.

To receive a complete copy (9K) of this KnowledgeBase article
send an empty email To: [log in to unmask] with Subject: Q51978

Order in Which MS-DOS and Windows 95 Assigns Drive Letters

 - Microsoft MS-DOS operating system version 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, 6.0, 6.2,
   6.21, 6.22
 - Microsoft Windows 95

SUMMARY
=======

Microsoft MS-DOS assigns drive letters to the first two physical
floppy disk drives and hard disk drives it finds at boot time in a
fixed sequence, including multiple partitions and logical drives on
the hard disks. You cannot change this sequence.

The drive letters assigned to additional drives installed using
DRIVER.SYS and other installable device drivers is dependent upon the
order in which the drivers are loaded in the CONFIG.SYS file. These
drive letter assignments can be influenced by changing the order of
the CONFIG.SYS statements or loading "dummy" drives to "use up" drive
letters. <snip - if this interests you, go fetch>

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**